Monday, September 17, 2012

The Yoke's on You!



Matthew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
These words of Jesus Christ are beautiful!  Somehow for many years I had seen the 'yoke' thing as something hard and sacrificial. The 'learn of me' part really got me to really think through these verses.

A 'yoke' is a bar with two loops hanging down. It was used to bind two oxen together to plow a field. Often farmers would hook up a seasoned ox with a young ox to be trained. That's where the 'learn of me' fits in. Jesus Christ said he was meek (not over-bearing) and lowly (humble). He's a good kind of trainer and one that brings rest! It is a great picture to carry around in our minds as we go about our day!

The kind of religion the pharisees represented had a lot to do with emphasis on works and the law. Galatians 5:1 mentions this yoke of bondage.
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage
Jesus Christ narrowed the list to two things: love God and love your neighbor as yourself. In addition, we have the help of the gift of holy spirit. Our work is easy and light.


No comments:

Post a Comment