Thursday, June 6, 2013

Some Things Just Don't Cut It!

The generation in which I grew up in (and by the way am still growing up in) is a curious one. Many of us tried to reject the  "plastics" mentality (The Graduate) and became truth seekers. Everywhere in culture 'truth' is touted, lauded and attested to. Journalists, politicians, and even theologians rally under the 'truth' banner, but more so than not they all disagree. Where is the 'truth'?

Having stepped in the mud in all these categories, I've learned that ultimate truth is very difficult to find in the 'thoughts and intents' of the human mind. Even in the categories of religion, truth gets mired. A beautiful case in point popped up in my last blog.  I got to a place on one verse where I just couldn't understand its meaning. I checked many sources and worked the verse and ended up more frustrated. So I stepped back out of the verse and looked at all of Genesis and the context and frustration was replaced by joy. 

I read the Bible with two major premises in my mind: first, God is absolutely good and in him is no darkness (not even a cloud or shadow), and second he wants us to have the whole truth. I make all decisions based on these two points. It's a great filter for what I read, people I associate with, and things I become involved in.

The Bible or rather the Word of God written in the Bible, is the ultimate truth. God created the universe; He is the authority. The Word is not a lifeless book, it is vibrant, alive and life-changing. God reveals who He is through the Word. Since God is spirit, he utilizes holy spirit in the individual to bring the Word to life. (Romans 10:9-10 is the access code that activates it)

It is our choice where to look for truth. So many things in the world vie for the position of being the ultimate source of truth. There is only one truth because there is only one Creator. All men are liars, howbeit intentional or unintentional. We created nothing! How many of us have ever designed a leaf, flower, tree or a blue sky? The greatest of God's works is His Word!
Hebrew 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment