Friday, January 31, 2014

Philexodus

The Word of God is amazing from start to finish.  The closer you look into its pages, the more amazing it becomes! God's word is the truth! When the principles of the Word pop up in your mind at just the right time to apply to everyday life, it is an experience that is very exciting.

I was recently thinking through Moses's life and reactions and I saw some great connections to many of the concepts in Philippians. In the Old Testament, God spoke to certain individuals. God's relationship made Moses more than adequate to deal with helping the children of Israel get out from under Pharaoh's control. Moses had lived a unique life of ups and downs. His life speaks out to us because through Christ we too have a spiritual connection with God. Paul said about his own life:
Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. 12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

I used to think that these verses involved the gritting of teeth and bearing down. Paul says he 'learned' and 'was instructed in', that no matter what happened to him, he could be content. What part of gritting your teeth exemplifies contentment? I think there is a deeper lesson here other than our own performance. It is about believing what God has done for us. We've been given the gift of holy spirit and the truth.  Our spirit changes us from the inside out, not the outside in. Real, true contentment comes from knowing we are loved by God and resting in that love and in the truth. Then whatever (involving abasing and abounding) comes our way can be held out to God and we can count on entering into His rest. We have so much to be thankful for:
Colossians 1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: 13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

No comments:

Post a Comment