Sunday, March 15, 2015

Wholeheartedness vs 'Yes But' Theology

There are so many groups, denominations, and ministries found everywhere across the net. I enjoy Christian writers and connecting with others who delight in the God, his Word and in acknowledgement of  the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Gone are my days of homogenized elitist church-thinking. I no longer stumble across I Corinthians chapter 1(v.13 'Is Christ divided?') and get a queasy feeling in my heart.

There has always been division since the early days of creation and it is pretty much summed up by the question "Did God really say?" (Genesis 3). What if Eve had answered that question by quoting God exactly instead of adding her own 2 cents to the miasma? What if she had said to the serpent, "Why don't you ask God for yourself?"


There are a lot of teachers and preachers around expounding doctrine and, yes, we can learn from them but ultimately the responsibility comes back to each of us: "What actually does God say?" Therein lies the strength, power and ability to love beyond what we can imagine!


In Numbers 13, the 12 spies who were sent to the promise land were divided 2 to 10. Caleb and Joshua spoke up and encouraged the Israelites to believe God without success. So what did they do? Form their own group? They trusted and loved God wholeheartedly and stuck it out during those 40 years of wilderness wanderings convinced about what God had promised. What others said did not deter them because God was truly their God. I'm sure God was blessing there lives and teaching them despite the the lack of trust surrounding them.


When God is truly our God we can wholeheartedly live abundantly despite the differences around us. We can love bigger, be happier and are freer to go where the spirit needs us to go. I am sure Joshua and Caleb didn't spend those wilderness years complaining about the rest of them who were frightened and not believing God. They believed, loved and were catalysts to the rest of Israel.


No one on this earth has all the answers to everything, I know I certainly don't.  I've been at this in-depth study of God's word for a long time. There is a lot to learn and plenty to experience and the more I learn, the more I realize this.


I am so thankful for those who share undeniable eagerness and love for God. I like reading their blogs or listening to them in conversations expressing how great God is. I may disagree with them on certain points, but I'm not interested in joining a theological 'think tank' or fellowshipping with pharisaical 'killjoys'('yes but' theology). The heart of the true 'church is beautifully expressed in Acts 2:47. They were excited:

47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.





No comments:

Post a Comment