Saturday, May 2, 2015

Paul as An Individual

The apostle Paul went through such a drastic change on the road to Damascus (see previous post). He was changed when confronted with the real purpose of Jesus Christ. Today we all don't necessarily have to fall to the ground because of a light from heaven; but as we understand God's true intent in Jesus Christ, our lives change direction. 

In the book of Galatians, Paul made some interesting statements:
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.
15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, 16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. (Galatians 1:11-17)
Paul had a lot to unlearn. His background basically rested in a performance, works-orientated theology. His path toward grace from legality no doubt was arduous and soul-searching. He kept it between him and God. Later when he met with the other apostles and leaders, he was given the 'right hand of fellowship'. They obviously were on the same page having been taught by the Lord Jesus Christ.

When the crisis of circumcision reared it's head later, Paul was strong and stood on grace principles to even question Peter about his behavior regarding people who advocated circumcision. Peter loved God, but Peter was human, just as Paul was human. This was not a political maneuvering. Every believer develops a relationship with God and learns individually but no one person has all the answers. Each of us can learn from others perspective, but God is ultimately the sun that shines in each our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment