Thursday, June 18, 2015

Nightwatch

Today I had all planned out. I knew exactly how the day would go. Right! Nothing went according to plan but it all worked out well. I have seen that happen so often and I'm glad that I'm beginning to understand that I don't have to control everything to make sure I land on my feet.

For many, in certain situations, excessive control over things makes people feel safe, however in reality it promotes and celebrates anxiety and fear. Letting God take care of fears and anxieties is absolutely the best way to go, although many times our 'white knuckle do not let go' grip on life is very reluctant to give up its clench.

The greatest times to let go of things that are bothering me occur when I wake up suddenly at night.
If I have remembered Thee on my couch, In the watches -- I meditate on Thee. Psalm 63:6 (YLT)
The word 'watches' in this verse refers to a specific unit of time at night A while back, I went to bed early and was sleeping soundly when I woke up with a very clear mind and a sense of joy. It was 11:55 pm. It was exactly the same time as a couple of nights before that when I experienced the same thing. I stayed up until about 3 am and still ended up with about 8 hours of sleep. I had a great time those three hours. It had been a busy weird week. Somehow a lot of things got processed in those wee hours free of telephone calls and other side distractions and noise.  It is a pretty exciting concept actually. Almighty God, designer of the universe, loves actual undivided fellowship with his kids. If we could just believe this!

When we pray, be it in the middle of the night or in broad daylight, we must believe that He is a rewarded of those who diligently seek Him. It is not about begging, cajoling or fulfilling a spiritual chore. We aren't being be dragged into the throne room.  Prayer is vibrant, exciting, always available and must include a 'yes He is real!' attitude. It is something to look forward to with delight.

Too often, we languish in feelings of insignificance and unworthiness or the other side of the coin, pride and elitism, to really understand what it means to come boldly and humbly to the throne of grace. Thankfulness is the great leveler. Thankfulness and joyful expectation are the keys to rich conversation in a any situation, be it human or supernatural.








No comments:

Post a Comment