Sunday, April 3, 2016

Drawn to God

How is it that we are drawn to God?  God draws us to Him as it says in John 6:44:
44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:44
God doesn't take over control of us, so what does the word "draw' mean? 

A look at the Greek refers metaphorically to being pulled by some inward attraction. Jesus Christ is the attraction that people saw and can still see. He declared the Father to the human race. There is only one man who is mediator between God and men, and that one is Jesus Christ.

The next verse goes on to say:
45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. John 6:45
All will be taught. Then, every man that hath heard and learned of God will come to know Jesus Christ. Not everyone taught will hear and learn, but those who do, will recognize the role of Jesus as the messiah and the key to our relationship with God.

As the verses continue, there is a comparison drawn between the manna of the exodus which was provided daily and the bread of life (verse 48) that came by way of Jesus Christ. The reoccurring blood atonement of Leviticus and the blood of Jesus Christ in a once and for all sacrifice are connected in verses 54-58:
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth*(abides) in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. 58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
This is what it means to walk on resurrection ground! As Jesus Christ so aptly put it on the cross. It is finished!


* This word 'dwelleth ' is a different one than what is used in John 1:14. Here the Greek word  'mene means to abide,wait, remain. In John 1:14 'dwelleth' is 'skene' which means tabernacled or tented among us:
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt (tented) among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John 1:14

No comments:

Post a Comment