Monday, December 11, 2017

The Name Samuel - Asked of God (I Samuel 1- Part Three)

In I Samuel 1:20, we find out that Hannah named her baby Samuel:
Wherefore it came to pass, when the time was come about after Hannah had conceived, that she bare a son, and his name Samuel, saying, Because I have asked (Strongs Hebrew #7592 -sha'al) him of the Lord. I Samuel 1:20
The Hebrew word for 'asked' (H7592) is used 40 times in both books of Samuel. Samuel's name, according to Hannah means asked of God! I think that is pretty significant. Most of these uses are translated as ask, asked,  and enquired. There are several 'salute and 'greet' which involve "asking thee of peace" as asking after one's welfare and offering peace. Another English translation of sha'al is 'lent' which connotes asking to borrow something. The word 'lent' doesn't seem to fit exactlyt here. It may be an error in translation. Does a person 'lend' their child to God?

27 For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked H7592 of him:
28 Therefore also I have lent 
H7592  him to the Lord; as long as he liveth he shall be lent H7592 to the Lord. And he worshipped the Lord there. I Samuel 1:27-28

 God had granted Hannah's petition with a child that would serve God all the days of his life. After Samuel's birth Hannah was full of joy and thanksgiving to God.  She would raise him up in the weaning period which was longer than what we know of today. She stayed home from the yearly worship trip until she was finished. Elkanah went along with her decision on this.

 Hannah was a 'type' for Mary. Other great women in the Bible like Deborah and Esther were women who served in saving God's people. Mary, Hannah, Elizabeth and others served through maternity. Their songs in I Samuel 1:2-10 and Luke 1:46-55 of praise are strikingly similar. The period of time in the early years of a child are precious and these records show the ability of children to understand the love of God:
26 And the child Samuel grew on, and was in favour both with the Lord, and also with men. I Samuel 1:26
52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man. Luke 1:52

No comments:

Post a Comment