Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Shame should Not Be Equated With Humility

Sometimes shame shouts so loud, it upstages humility! Often humility and shame are linked together like a ball and chain by people who think they know what God is about. Humility is joyful; it is exciting and powerful. When true humility exists in the human heart, it outshouts and blows up nasty, sneaky dark thoughts.
I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed. Psalm 34:4-5
It is the conscience or 'knowledge from the Word of God within one's self' that should guide us, not shame. Shame says "I am stupid, guilt says "I did something stupid" and "conscience says I should be doing this instead which is more beneficial than how I behaved."

Now go read all of Psalm 34, it makes you want to dance and sing!!!! It is fun not to feel shame or any other feeling that engenders self-loathing. There is so much in those verses. We have so much to be thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment