Monday, January 25, 2021

Let This Mind Be In You

 

3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Philippians 2:3-4 

In verse three, we are warned about doing things from strife or empty pride. We are encouraged to act humbly toward others. Jesus Christ, as God's son, could have claimed a huge right to status but he didn't. 'He made himself of no reputation'.  He was a humble man and became a servant to to others. He spoke the truth as a servant of God. Humility is not weakness, it is the  exact opposite. Humility emanates from the ultimate godly source of strength. It reveals God's love and power and sound mind available to everyone.

The word 'also' in verse 4, is inclusive. We not only look on our own things but also the things of others. Human love has limitations, but divine love explodes those limitations.

God's love is spelled out in I Corinthians 13. In the context of chapters 12 and 14, love propels the work of the spirit of God available to each of us. We are able to love at a higher power source than human love. These three chapters of Corinthians embody the gold of the  'higher powers' described in Romans 13. (For those who think Romans 13 is a civic lesson, check the context of Romans 12 and Romans 14. God didn't put the chapter markings in any of these books; man did it. Context is everything).

The Greek word for 'charity' represents the love of God, not what we give to the United fund or the Red Cross as the word is used today:
13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profits me nothing.

4 Charity suffers long (patient), and is kind; charity envies not; charity vaunts (boasts) not itself, is not puffed up (arrogant), 5 Does not behave itself unseemly (inappropriately), seeks not her own, is not easily provoked (offended), thinks no evil (does not begrudge nor contain resentment or evil);
6 Rejoices not in iniquity (injustice), but rejoices in the truth;7 Bears all things, believes (entrusts) all things, hopes all things, endures (awaits) all things. I Corinthians 13 1-7
I Corinthians 13:8a



 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment