Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Ok It's Crunch Time! Joy Joy Joy!

Don't worry, be happy! Our culture has concocted all this hoopla! The fresh smell of pine and chestnuts roasting on the fire have become symbols of the good life! Yet this is the time of the year you see people who are tired, stressed and maybe a tad bit isolated. Even gift-giving frenzy has moved to a new level. We get daily reports of how the sales are going and influencing the economy. If you are frustrated you haven't found the right gift yet or  feel enticed to spend a lot of money to get it right, stop! Whoa Rudolf!


I have talked with several wonderful people this week about "purpose" in life and what it is.  These same people are some of the most purposeful people I know. They have blessed my life in so many ways and they will continue to do so forever. I am surrounded by some of the most enjoyable people and family to be around. They love God, they don't limit Him; they think outside the box. They just know the moment to call, post a link on Facebook, or throw a snowball on Farmville or remind me to feed the sheep! They invite me to Starbucks and shopping, help me land a volunteer job at the local college, or quote Kenyon and Psalm 119 to me. They send notes about what  friendship means. They listen when I am excited about something and add their own excitement. They help me figure out plans for the holidays. They bring over the cutest little kids to play with. They send me pictures of rainbows that remind me how big God is. They tell  the truth and love in the best way possible. These are the greatest gifts.


Ok,  Jesus Christ was actually born on September 11, 3 BC. It was in December the magi visited. Those are true points. What he brought was his "purpose" in life and is the most important point to get. He said it himself:
John 10:10b I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
We can abundantly live blessing others in the most significant ways, just being who God called us to be and not being afraid that we are doing something wrong.  In Micah 6:6-8, God says:
Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before the high God? shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves of a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
Now that is "purpose"!  

                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment