Friday, September 30, 2011

Change in Plans and the Will of God

Romans is a book that presents the 'big picture' of believing.  Everything in this basic treatise teaches the doctrine and practicality of the foundation of the grace administration as it rests on believing God and what he has provided through Jesus Christ.

In  Romans chapter 1, Paul records his desire to go to Rome but the "right time" had not presented itself.
Romans 1:8-13 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you. For I long (Link -epipotheo) to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.  Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.
In Proverbs 16:1, God's Word says
Plans pertain to the heart of man, but the last word is from the Lord. (NIV)
God's answer to anything exceeds whatever plans man makes. Humans often pride themselves on the integrity of their word. "It may appear to be a very high standard of righteousness that makes a man's word his bond: it may actually be a higher one still for a man to appear untrustworthy because he desires ever to obey the higher will of God. …… Consistency has sometimes been obeyed before the claims of added light, and then consistency becomes self-will and pride.  It is certainly humbling for a leader to confess to making a mistake, but what a trustworthy leader is he who will make the confession!" (Charles Welch, The Just and The Justifier).

In Chrysotom’s translation [early church leader] of II Corinthians 1:17 Paul talks of the will of man and the will of God:
17 Do I plan after the flesh, that the yea with me must be always yea, and the nay always nay, as it is with a man of the world who makes his plans independently of God’s overruling of them?
Paul's example was Jesus Christ who always did the Father's will. There are many other records in both the Old Testament (the Joseph record in Genesis is a good example) and New Testament (John 11 - raising Lazarus from the dead) where men and women  kept to the 'God first' priority.

During Paul's life, he got several green  and red lights. He blew a big red light when he went to Jerusalem, but stopped at the Bithynia and Asia intersection and ended up taking a better route to Macedonia. We can learn a great deal about believing by examining these records.

Paul's example was Jesus Christ who always did the Father's will.  God's ultimate sovereignty should never be considered lightly in any situation.  Call it 'lowliness', 'poor in spirit', or humility, this is  quality of believing in someone's life that is of the utmost importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment