Saturday, December 10, 2011

Abba, Father

Has the thought of God ever brought up fear in your mind?  Do you ever worry about whether you are really living for God?  When people think this way it becomes a very real fear and can be quite painful. ( I know because at various times in my life, I have experienced this)  Oftentimes it seems that the only recourse is to not think about it and that's what many people do. God becomes one of those topics not mentioned in polite company. 

A fear of God can develop through ignorance and lack of good instruction. There are all too many avenues to learn about God. You have to find instruction that is about God's Word, which helps you to be able to read it for yourself. It is in really delving into it's pages, along with full acknowledgement of His care in one's prayer life, that one comes to a secure and steady knowledge of God . We have access to God. He committed himself to print, we have holy spirit available to guide us and we have the example of His son, Jesus Christ.
Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption (huiothesia (link) ,properly translated 'sonship'), whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
The Word is healing. It calms and soothes an anxious heart. It annihilates fear and sets us free from the sort of bondage that tries to control our thinking. A couple of days ago when I was having a 'wild and wooly' day. I'm sure you've had them too. Jesus Christ had plenty of them. I  plumped up my pillows on my bed with a cup of 'joe' and opened to where I had been reading in Romans. One verse led to another and before I knew it I was energized and refreshed. That just doesn't happen to me when I read ordinary books.  God's word contains life!

"Abba" is an endearing word. It is like when a child says 'Daddy'. We have that kind of access to God. 
Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
What God wanted all along is a personal relationship with us! There is absolutely nothing to fear!

1 comment: