Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

Recently I bought a new Bible and I like the cover! Have you ever thought about why the Bible is usually black leather with a gold title "Holy Bible".   Could it be that it gives off an official look, a sacred appearance or just has a good coffee table aroma?
When I was just starting to read it, any one of the above could be used to describe it for me. I don't feel that way now. This morning when I woke up the following verse popped in my head:
Psalm 119:162 I rejoice at thy word, as one that findeth great spoil.
The Bible has great treasure buried between its covers! The book in and of itself is not 'holy'. The 'holy' part comes in as it is inspired of God. Words are tools and tools are used to get a job done. You can't use a screwdriver to pound in a nail. Sometimes people try to use the word like that - pound, pound, pound and nothing moves. The two-columned, thin-paged reader has meaning far beyond it's image. This book can be the very breath of God at times when understood.  At other times it could be falsely construed as judgmental as just tough words hard to be understood.

When reading a chemistry book while trying to understand the first law of thermodynamics, one wouldn't necessarily go to the chapter on the periodic table for the answer. The periodic table is an important tool, but not the right one to go to for a study on heat and matter. Applying biblical tools is similar. The Word of God is 'God-breathed' or God-inspired, but God is dynamic, ever-present and all-knowing. He doesn't throw the whole book at us at one time.

I am energized and thankful this morning with Psalm 119:162. I think I memorized it a long time ago or maybe I read it often enough to remember it. At any rate it was readily available to bless my day ahead when God clicked on that file.

No comments:

Post a Comment