Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Rich, Vital, Prayer

The very first thing I ever learned about prayer as a child was that you memorized prayers. I was never taught "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake...l" (scary way to settle your day as your head hits the pillow), but I did learn many memorized prayers suitable for bedtime, dinnertime and many other occasions. I still can recite them but I don't because I like to think through what I'm talking to God about.
The Greek word translated 'prayer' is 'proseuche'. It is a merger between two words, 'pros' and 'euche'. 'Pros' generally indicates closeness of one thing to another. 'Euche' is a request, petition or prayer.  In another older usage, the concept of vow was included in the definition. It was thought that when a person prayed, he made a vow to give something to God in return for an answer (one cannot bribe God especially with works).

Whatever way you look at it, prayer is an exchange between two parties. It is a closeness. It is a relationship with God. What do we exchange with God? We can never out give God (or get even close for that matter), but in in Hebrews 11:6 Paul writes:
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Substitute the word 'trust' for 'faith' and it gives a clearer picture of what warms the cockles of God's heart.  As any parent knows, when a child approaches with an open heart of trust it is especially gratifying. The whole chapter of Hebrews 11 is about people who have trusted God. God LOVES that trust and he pours it on because He is all about relationship with His kids.

Prayer is a big deal. There are numerous example throughout the Bible. I am especially enjoying Moses' conversations with God in Exodus! Prayer is not vain, empty, repetition. Thinking is definitely involved! When my head hits the pillow at night and the thoughts from the day quiet down, I relish the conversation with the Father. There are mornings when I awake with one of those 'nudges from Him. All day He is there in crisis and celebration. Prayer is a dynamic rich relationship with someone we can trust. It is something to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment